March 1, 2023: COVID GAP Accountability Report Issue 21
Key Changes and Insights Since Previous Report:
- The Pandemic Fund closed their call for expressions of interest on February 24th. The first call for proposals is expected to be announced in early March and applicants will have 11 weeks to submit proposals. The Governing Board plans to make funding decisions in July 2023.
- The Global Preparedness Monitoring Board has released a document outlining 3 tests to ensure the success of key pandemic prevention, preparedness, and response reforms.
- The fourth meeting of the WHO Intergovernmental Negotiating Body will run from February 27th to March 3rd. Discussion will focus on the zero draft of the Pandemic Treaty.
- Dr. Jean Kaseya has been selected as the first Director General of the Africa Centers for Disease Control.
- David Malpass, President of the World Bank, has announced he plans to step down on June 30th after serving for 4 years. The United States has nominated Ajay Banga to serve as the next President.
- The U.S. FDA recently authorized the first over-the-counter test that detects both COVID-19 and Influenza A and B.
- A new nasal COVID-19 vaccine has been shown to reduce the risk of symptomatic COVID-19 cases by 86% in a recent phase 1 clinical trial.
- The Africa Centers for Disease Control has released its first risk-ranking and prioritization of epidemic-prone diseases. Ebola, Cholera, and COVID-19 were found to have the highest epidemic potential.
The Duke Global Health Innovation Center is a proud partner of the COVID Global Accountability Platform (COVID GAP). COVID GAP’s Accountability Reports highlight and analyze recent developments, track progress toward national, regional, and global targets, and identify high-priority recommendations for a more effective, efficient, and equitable pandemic response and preparedness. Drawing on data across many sources, our team tracks important measures of progress on commitments and remaining gaps, helping to hold leaders and organizations to account on these actions.
COVID GAP Accountability Report, Issue 21